The College’s Approach to the Coronavirus (COVID-19)
MacKillop College has been monitoring advice from the Victorian Health Department, DFAT Smart Traveller and the World Health Organisation with regards to the COVID-19 (Novel Coronavirus). While we understand that there is a lot of information available, we will endeavour to keep you informed regarding the College’s approach.
At present, all classes will continue as normal.
The Catholic Education Commission of Victoria (CECV) have also provided schools with the following advice:
- Students with symptoms such as a fever (temperature above 38°C), cough, sore throat or congestion, should not come to school. They should stay home until symptoms have subsided for at least 24 hours (without the use of fever reducing or cough suppressing medication)
- Parents will be contacted to collect their son/daughter if she/he becomes ill in this manner at school
- Avoid close contact with people who have a respiratory illness
- Practice good respiratory etiquette – cover a cough or sneeze with a tissue and discard
- Avoid touching the eyes, nose and mouth
- Wash hands thoroughly using soap and water, or use hand sanitiser
- Increase the cleaning of frequently touched surfaces such as desks, countertops, keyboards, computer mice, mobile phones and handrails
We would ask that you demonstrate a more conservative approach than you might normally if your son/daughter has an elevated temperature or other flu like symptoms and keep them home from school.
Victoria’s Chief Health Officer has issued advice that overseas school excursions should cease, except to New Zealand and Canada. Based on this advice, our planned overseas trips to Italy and France have been cancelled and we are not accepting short term stays for Japanese students.
Families who chose to travel in the school holidays need to consider the potential impact of the 14 day isolation period that may be required upon returning home.
As consistent with the government messages, anyone who has had direct contact with a person diagnosed with COVID-19, is advised to be tested and isolate for 14 days.
We remain vigilant in monitoring the situation at MacKillop College and will endeavour to keep you informed as matters arise.
Back to Blog Feed