The altar, font, candle holder and ambo have all been designed to have, as part of their construction the shape of a cross. This may be in the silhouette or the base of each piece of furniture, in some cases it may even be the shadow created by the piece. This is a direct reference to Saint Mary of the Cross MacKillop but also that the cross is the central image to our faith.
Each piece of sacramental furniture has subtle inlays of a contrasting timber inserted into the frame. This wood comes from a floor board from the Cameron Homestead, built in 1848 on the original section of the Penola station and where Mary MacKillop worked as governess in 1861.
For further information about the Cameron House visit the Mary MacKillop website. The sacramental furniture along with the pews were built for us by F. Fallshaw & Sons of Melbourne.
The glass of the font was constructed for us by Wathaurong Glass and Arts, owned by the local Wathaurong Aboriginal Co-operative. The name “WATHAURONG” (wathawurrung or wada warrung) is a recognised tribe, it consisted of 25 groups (clans). The boundaries of Wathaurong are from Geelong (Victoria), North to Werribee River, North West to Bacchus Marsh, South West to Cressy, South East to Colac, East to Lorne & North back to Geelong encompassing the Bellarine Peninsula.
The bowl of the font was designed to contain a number of symbols, significant to the Wathaurong people but that are also significant in our own tradition.
Central circles represent community around a waterhole
The wavy lines represent a river and/or journey
The spirals represent wind or the spirit.
Each of these is a significant symbol in the sacrament of Baptism and Confirmation.
The font is placed at the back of the Chapel. As we enter the Chapel we will use the water of the Baptismal font to bless ourselves and remind us of our own baptisms.
The font was donated to the College by the 2016 Parents and Friends Committee.